I came across this recipe in Easy Living. I think these tarts look quite sophisticated but were so quick and easy to make. I like the fact they don't have pastry as it makes them lighter than some tarts.
180g unsalted butter
50g plain flour
180g icing sugar
100g ground almonds
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
5 egg whites
2 small ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 200c. Lightly grease 6 tart tins (7cm) with removable bottoms.
2. Melt butter in small saucepan and gently cook for 1-2 mins until it has turned golden.
3. Sift icing sugar and flour into a mixing bowl. Stir in ground almonds and lemon zest.
4. Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork until just foamy and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Add warm butter and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
5. Pour mixture into tart tins, filling each to 3/4 full and top with pieces of pear. Bake for 5 mins then reduce heat to 180c and cook for a further 10-15 mins until golden and risen.
6. Allow to cool in tins for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve.