About MissCakeBaker

I spend the week running in heels and the weekends in my apron.

Sunday 21 October 2012

Southern Chocolate Mud Pie




I don't know where time has gone. I blame the Jubilee, Olympics, holidays, weekends away and myself for losing my baking mojo a little over the last few weeks. Anyway, in an attempt to redeem my lack of posts I thought I'd make something new and indulgent. Eric Lanlard's Southern Chocolate Mud Pie from his book 'Tart it Up' fits the bill nicely and is the perfect afternoon treat for this dreary drizzly South London Sunday.

This pie is delicious - oh so dense and moreish - perfect with a dollop of creme fraiche to counteract the sweetness.  It was the first time I'd make chocolate pastry and it was relatively easy and quick to do.  Eric has kindly let me reproduce his recipe here along with his photo of the finished article. As you can see my version wasn't quite as elegant but its taste more than made up for its looks. 

The Recipe


200g (7oz) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
175g (6oz) unsalted butter, softened
350g (11½oz) dark muscovado sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
4 tbsp pure cocoa powder
400ml (14fl oz) double cream
2 tsp chocolate extract (optional)
1 x blind-baked chocolate
shortcrust pastry case in a 25cm (10in) diameter, 6cm (2½in)
deep tart tin or ovenproof dish
500ml (17fl oz) whipping cream
3 tsp vanilla sugar
2 tsp finely grated dark chocolate

1. Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the surface of the water does not touch the bowl.  Put to one side to cool.
2.  Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan 140°C)/325°F/gas mark 3. Cream the butter and sugar until nice and fluffy using an electric hand whisk or a freestanding mixer. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time on a low speed. Sift the cocoa powder and stir in, along with the cooled melted chocolate. Stir in the double cream and the chocolate extract, if using.  Pour the mixture into the cooked pastry case and bake in the oven for 45–50 minutes, or until just set. Leave to cool, then chill in the refrigerator.
3.  Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Whip the whipping cream and vanilla sugar to soft peaks. Pile on the top of the pie and sprinkle with the grated chocolate.

7 comments:

  1. Delicious and beautiful mud cake!!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you redeemed yourself with something sinful and decadent! LOL!!! This looks amazing!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh fabulous recipe! Looks damn fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking mojo is an elusive beast at times, you have my empathy as mine took a very long time to return so I know how you feel. Lovely recipe, those photo's have my mouth watering. Pure decadence ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bake to come back with! It's just bursting with chocolatey goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering what had happened to you. Glad to hear you've mostly been having fun. That pie looks so naughty, it just has to be tried.

    ReplyDelete