About MissCakeBaker

I spend the week running in heels and the weekends in my apron.

Sunday 23 May 2010

Lemon Polenta Cake


I have to say the thought of baking this afternoon and heating up an already overheated flat further with the oven didn't really appeal. However 75 degrees + or not I made the pact to bake something every weekend I was at home. So it got me to thinking that I wanted to bake something that smells of summer - or should I say an Italian summer. This cake, even in its raw mixture form, evokes freshly picked Sicilian lemons. I think it originated at The River Cafe but this recipe is a variation that I found in a weekend supplement. Anyway I soon found this afternoon that with a glass of something cold and white in hand and some chill out tunes on, sunny baking can be lovely....



The Recipe:
175g unsalted butter, softened (another bonus of baking on a hot day - butter softens v quickly....)
225g caster sugar
200g ground almonds
3 eggs
zest of 4 unwaxed lemons and juice of 1 of these
115g polenta
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 160c/gas mark 3.
2. Line a 20cm tin with baking parchment.
3. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz to a smooth batter.
4. Spoon into the lined tin and bake for 45-50 mins. Cool in the tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment