About MissCakeBaker

I spend the week running in heels and the weekends in my apron.

Sunday 16 January 2011

Breakfast Loaf Sydney Style


I wasn't sure if I'd get a post up this weekend - my laptop broke on Friday night. It must have jumped off the sofa when I had my back turned. Well that's the story I told my husband anyway and I'm sticking to it....

My best friend in Sydney gave me this recipe after I had it at hers for breakfast and loved it. I'm not sure where it originates from but I'm wondering if it is a Bill Granger as I know she (like me) loves his cooking. I like it toasted with butter on it - she has it with honey or jam (cherry if possible) although I find it sweet enough without an extra topping.

The Recipe

50g porridge oats
300ml milk
240g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
125g dried cherries
50g dried apple cut into small pieces
75g soft brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbspn runny honey
1 egg, beaten
3 tbspn chopped almonds, plus a few extra to sprinkle on top of cake

1. Preheat oven to 180c. Pour the milk over the oats and set aside to soak for 30 mins. Grease and line a loaf tin.

2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and then add all the other ingredients and mix well together. Put the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the extra almonds over the top.

3. Bake for 45 mins - 1 hour (until golden on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean). Cool in tin before cooling further on a wire rack.

5 comments:

  1. this looks so lovely and healthy (almost!) and so easy to make in time for breakfast... maybe next weekend if I'm allowed... (I made a no-cake promise to the boss...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy and delicious - I could eat this all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds lovely and I'm sure it is a great way to start to the day. I'd love a piece with my coffee. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleased to say it stayed fresh until yesterday - probably would have lasted until today but it all went.

    ReplyDelete