I have always loved Strawberry Shortcake - it started with the doll I had as a child and then moved on to the food version. So for this month's We Should Cocoa Challenge I decided to make a chocolate version to meet their strawberry and chocolate theme. The rich cocoa biscuit works nicely with the strawberries. I added a little rosewater to the cream too as like how it goes with the fruit.
180g plain flour
180g unsalted butter
1 punnet of strawberries
100ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4.
2. Put all ingredients in the bowl of a processor and mix until the mixture forms a ball.
3. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
4. Roll the mixture out thinly between 2 sheets of baking parchment/greaseproof paper. Use a 3 inch cutter to make rounds. Place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Prick all over with a fork (I forgot to do this but didn't seem to matter).
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave to cool on the tin.
7. But a small amount of cream (whipped) on the centre of the biscuit then add sliced strawberries. Repeat until you have your stack.