About MissCakeBaker

I spend the week running in heels and the weekends in my apron.

Saturday 17 March 2012

Chocolate & Pistachio Biscotti



This month Chele from Chocolate Teapot has chosen something 'green' for the We Should Cocoa Challenge.  I'm not a big fan of making food a deliberate colour, especially a shade as bright as green, so that ruled that option out.  I considered making something chocolately while wearing my birkenstocks but closer inspection of the rules showed that we weren't talking eco credentials for this challenge.  So after a little deliberation I decided to make something containing pistachio nuts - the greenest ingredient that came to mind.  After some Google research I came across this recipe for Chocolate and Pistachio Biscotti from the Martha Stewart website.  


I've never made biscotti before but was surprised firstly how quick they were to make and secondly how nicely they turned out.  Mr CB maintains that they had a strange aftertaste but I really wasn't getting it. I then made a friend try one and she said they just tasted of chocolate and pistachio. They are still quite soft in the middle for biscotti but this is apparently how this version should be - not as dry as the true traditional Italian ones. I didn't have quite as many pistachios as the recipe stated hence why they could be slightly greener.  The original recipe can be found here.

16 comments:

  1. ohhhh they look REALLY good!!!!! WANT! I'm going to try we should cocoa this month...just a bit nervous because I am learner baker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Fiona - sorry for the late reply, I've been away with work. You should definitely enter we should cocoa - we're all learners really!

      Delete
  2. They look great - I love biscotti but it's ages since I made any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'd never made them before but will do again.

      Delete
  3. OMG, looks fantastic!!! Put the teapot on - I"m coming over! Happy St. Paddy's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was over the pond your way this week - if I'd had more time I would have come your way for a cup of tea!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a brilliant success (whatever Mr CB says) and I love the idea of this combination of flavours. Also quite fancy a soft middle too. Like you, I don't use food colourings, but I have managed quite a bright shade of green nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette. I'm just catching up on everyone's blogs now as have not being online all week.

      Delete
  5. Love it - and the sadist in me is pleased it pushed the comfort zone a wee bit too lol. I never even thought of pistachio's till I saw the entries rolling in ... wish I had thought of that. Love the look of this biscotti. Thanks for taking part ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chele - it's always good to be pushed a bit!

      Delete
  6. I enjoy making and eating biscotti but I've never made chocolate biscotti for some reason. They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - I've never made them before but want to try non chocolate ones too.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea! These biscotti looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for something green...I was a bit stumped for ideas! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - I know green is not an easy ingredient to think of in baking.

      Delete